The London Trocadero was an entertainment complex on Coventry Street, with a rear entrance in Shaftesbury Avenue, London. It was originally built in 1896 as a restaurant, and closed in 1965. In 1984 the complex reopened as an exhibition and entertainment space, which operated until 2014. As of 2014, it is under redevelopment to become a hotel.
Since at least 1919 the Trocadero has been abbreviated to the Troc, and under that name it appears in a poem by John Betjeman.
The complex incorporates a number of separate but close by historic London buildings, including the old London Pavilion Theatre, that have in the past hosted the Palace of Varieties, the New Private Subscription Theatre, the Royal Albion Theatre, the Argyll Subscription Rooms, the Eden Theatre and the Trocadero Restaurant.
The name Trocadero indirectly derives from the Battle of Trocadero in 1823, through the Palais du Trocadéro in Paris, named after the French victory.
Creative Commons Attribution CC-BY-SA 4.0