Eastern Hill Fire Station is the central fire station of Melbourne, Australia, located in on the corner of Victoria Parade and Gisborne Street, opposite St Peter's, Eastern Hill, one of the highest points in the city of Melbourne. The building has been recognised as historically significant by the Heritage Council of Victoria and is listed on the Victorian Heritage Register.
The station was begun in 1891 and opened on 3 November 1893, as the headquarters and city fire station for the newly formed Metropolitan Fire Brigade. It was designed by architecture firms Lloyd Taylor & Fitts, and Smith & Johnson, who both won the competition, and combined to produce this striking Australian Queen Anne style building. The building contained living quarters, stables, workshops, and offices. The watchtower was initially manned 24 hours a day.
Firefighters lived on the premises until the 1970s. In 1972 a new station was begun next door, designed by Bates Smart McCutcheon in the Brutalist style, with the...Wikipedia (
Creative Commons Attribution CC-BY-SA 4.0